How do I Start Organizing?
Everyone wants to know the answer…How do I start organizing?
Organizing is a process. It takes time, energy and patience.
There are tons of solutions. How do you know what will work for you?
The first step is to eliminate, eliminate and eliminate what you don’t need or want. Sometimes this can take working in the same space over and over again. Pairing down isn’t easy but it is necessary.
Trying to figure out the right solution isn’t possible unless you know exactly what you need to organize or store.
So, with every family, we start with the process of eliminating what doesn’t need to be kept and identifying what you don’t need. And sometimes, this is where people get stuck (and why they have hired a Professional Organizer).
Not only do we give you permission to eliminate items, we can clearly see the end result – a room or home that is clutter free and where you can find what you need when you need it. Let’s use this scenerio, you have bins and bins of miscellaneous “stuff”. How would you organize it?
- Go through each bin and eliminate what you don’t need.
- Go back through each bin and sort the items generically by placing them into smaller bins
- Revisit each smaller bin and pull out duplicate items and again, things that you don’t need to keep or can be donated.
- Determine what size clear container you need to store item
- Purchase the containers, label them and put them on a shelf for storage.
If you store these items for 6 months to 1 year and still haven’t used them. Let them go! Donate and eliminate! If you need permission to do this, give us a call but You can give yourself permission to make a decision.
Have deadlines set. Stay focused and you will reach your goal.